None of the gadgets I have in my cupboards have managed to stop me coming home from work in the evening wishing I had planned something, and resorting to desperately rummaging through the freezer to find something that will defrost / cook quickly. OK, so twice a year I get organised enough to put the slow cooker on in the morning and come home to a lovely casserole in the evening, but putting it all together at 6.30am in the morning is not something I wish to do very often!
Devices/gadgets that I really need to bid farewell to:
- George Forman griddle/grill
- Panasonic bread maker (with nut dispenser)
- Food preserver – plug-in glass dome thingy, which is supposed to stop food going bad by sucking air out…. Never used…
- 3 of the 4 mixer/blender/chopper devices
- Electric carving knife
- At least one of the 2 slow cookers
- Jamie Oliver “Flavour shaker”
- Potato ricer
- Gravy separator
- At least SOME of the multitude of cheese choppers/slicers/graters
I have purged the kitchen of some useless articles over the years (electric steamer, sandwich maker, bread slicing device, very-large-all-singing-and-dancing food processor (as if I had a clue what to do with it!). We have also purchased, and ditched, any number of coffee machines over the years – in the main, too much hassle to prepare coffee and to clean up afterwards.
Two gadgets that I actually DO use fairly frequently, and so deserve a mention are:
1-The Nespresso coffee pod machine – very quick and easy to make (and tastes great) using the pods, and, more importantly, very easy to keep clean. The pods also come in lots of shiny colours too!