Friday 27 December 2013

Things I am not going to buy - Day 27: Fresh food on 3 for 2, 2 for 1, etc

One of the things that really narks me when I am shopping in a supermarket is in the fresh produce aisles (including fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, dairy/chilled foods) when they have offers that require you to buy more than you need of an item in order to make a saving.  Whatever they call it -  4 for 3, 3 for 2, buy 1 get 1 half price, etc.  It's all very well making these savings, but when you really only want one item, you feel that you're being ripped off by paying full price for it! 



Take bean salad, for example.  I really like mixed bean salad, but all of the supermarkets seem to do it on a buy 2 offer.  I really don't want 2 bean salads - I am the only person in our house that eats it, and I am not going to get through 2 full tubs in the 2 remaining days to the "eat by" date.  I just can't bring myself to only buy 1 tub and pay...FULL PRICE!!! 

The stores are getting a LITTLE bit more helpful, in that you can now mix and match items - rather than 3 cauliflowers for the price of 2, you can have a cauliflower, a few leeks and a turnip, perhaps.  A better deal if you want them all, but I still don't see why they can't just reduce the price for 1 bloody cauliflower!  My fridge is full of rotting fruit and veg that have been bought as "add-ons" in order that I can get a good bargain.  This post is very closely related to the bargains post and the food on it's sell-by date post.

It is very irresponsible of the stores contributing to the masses of food that goes to waste each week by offering incentives to people to stock up on perishable goods. 






No comments:

Post a Comment