Monday 14 January 2013

Fast reading

I mentioned in my previous post that Dr Michael Mosley's book was out soon, and, sure enough, it is now in the Amazon store in Kindle or Paperback versions.


As the 5:2 approach has worked so well for me, I am interesting in finding out as much as I can about the research into fasting, and the additional health benefits it can bring.  I am, therefore, reading up as much as I can find, and was tempted to buy the book.  Before going ahead with the purchase, however, I decided to read the introduction, which you can do on Amazon.  I read through the background of Dr Moseley, and how he benefitted from the approach not just in a significant weight loss, but in a reduction in his cholestrol and a lowering of his risk factor for type 2 diabetes.  Fair enough.  I move on to read about Dr Moseley's co-author, Mimi Spencer.  I am immediately suspicious of anyone called "Mimi" - sounds a bit like a poodle or a chihuahua...  Anyway, Mimi has also benefitted from following the 5:2 approach to lose a stone.  Great! Further evidence that the approach works, and very useful to try out the diet you are writing about.  This woman, however,  doesn't live in the same world as normal humans.  She is a journalist, and inhabits a world where anything above a (UK) size 6 is considered obese.  She went from a portly nine and a half stone down to below eight and a half stone, which is great, except that she is five foot seven.  She describes her 'before' BMI of 21.4 as "OK".  OK!!!!  That is at the lower end of the recommended 20-25, and she now has a BMI of 19.4, which is probably still higher than the women who inhabit her planet!

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a Monday morning laugh, "like a poodle or chihuahua," lol. Pleased this is all working for you, its great to find something that you can manage and does the trick.

    By the sound of it, you haven't got this book then? That lady's statistics sound ridiculous. I might just glance at this book in a bookshop and get myself the main points. TBH I don't think I'll be doing this particular plan myself though, I'm not good at starving myself, even for a morning. Keep up the good work though, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he he! I was a bit put off, I have to say, and I am not that bothered about recipes and calorie counts. I have just bought the Kindle version, so will let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete